Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lego Resources Courtesy of the Interwebs

I've decided to compile some of the best Lego resources that I've found online. 

http://www.brickset.com/ - Brickset is a good starting point for anyone that wants to manage their collection.  All of the sets are there, and it's constantly updated.  You can also tag items as Wanted, and then it will total up the cost of your wanted items.  I found that the cost of my wanted items is roughly 10x the cost of my current collection.  No surprise there.  The only thing it's missing (or that I can't find) is a way to add loose parts.

http://www.peeron.com/
Peeron is a comprehensive database of parts and sets.  The site interface is deceptively simple.  Behind the scenes, there's a fantastic well of Lego data.  Plug in a set or a part and prepare to be overwhelmed (in the best way) with information about that item.  A neat feature is that you can link it with your LUGNET inventory.  I don't have one of these yet, because I'm still waiting on the human-reviewed application to go through.  Oh, humans. 

http://www.bricklink.com/ - Warning, this site can be highly addictive.  Foremost, it's a site for buying bricks.  The most ingenious feature is the ability to create wanted lists based on existing sets, and then search for sellers based on those lists.  I plan to do a more in-depth guide to Bricklink in the future.

http://rebrickable.com/ - This site lets you upload your collection, then view all of the sets you could potentially make.  It will tell you by percentage how many of the pcs you have for a given set, and even list the parts you don't own.  Then, you can smoothly take that list and upload it to the devious Bricklink site and start shopping.  The interface for viewing set contents is also pretty slick. 

What I'm still looking for is a good forum of fellow Lego fanatics.  If you know of any, please leave me a comment.  For that matter, if you know of any other good resources, please leave them in the comments below.

No comments: